Saturday, July 11, 2009

Southern Wedding - Part one

Coming back from the South has made me appreciate my California. I love my state. I love the west. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the south, but the lifestyle is so different and the weather... don't get me started on the weather. I have California in my blood and I admit I'm spoiled by our weather and our mountains, beaches and deserts. The people may be not as "southern sweet" but I still love it. I'm sure a Southerner would say they the same about their South! :)

Getting to Alabama was an ordeal. I mentioned before that I hate flying... this was the worst! We flew on a red-eye from LA to Houston on Monday night (Tuesday morning) and while in the air we were in the middle of a lightning storm. Me and lightning... no good. I am scared of the one in maybe a year storm we get here. I'd never seen lightning like this... and I had to be in a plane. Oh vey. Thankfully, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought and we landed.

Stepping out of the plane the noise was overwhelming... rain. Serious rain. Again, in California we get rain, lots of rain, but I'd never seen anything like it. All flights were delayed and there was no where to sit after we trudged our way through the most confusing airport. By the time we were allowed on the plain I was hungry, tired and grouchy.

We settled in and were told that we'd be there for about 20 or so minutes since the storm needed to lessen before we could take off. Fine with me since I was already nervous as it was. TWO and a HALF hours later we got in a line of 22 planes to take off. OVER TWO HOURS. I was so ready to get in the air and landed. I didn't care how bad the storm was at this point.
Once we were above the clouds it was beautiful and clear... who knew.

We landed in Gulfport, MS and drove to Orange Beach, AL where we had a beach cottage waiting for us. At this point I had only slept approx 2 hrs on the plane. Tired, hungry and grouchy.
I was so excited to see my sister! After 6 weeks! We quickly changed and went on our way to the rehearsal. We didn't actually have a rehearsal since some people were late and we were all hungry. We headed to a restaurant that overlooked the bay, Colbalt. Good food and beautiful views!

Top - Orange Beach, AL

Bottom - view from the penthouse deck


We went back to our cottage where all our family was staying and put together the last minute things such as favors, hair accessories, dress fittings... by the time I got to bed I'd been up for 32 hrs on 2 hrs of sleep. Okay, so I am twenty-six but I felt like I was sixty!

L to R - Cousin Eileen, Bride to be, Me, sis-n-law Sonia
We woke up early the next morning and went to setup at the penthouse where the reception would be held. I had several arrangements to be made for lunch and last minute details. Also dealing with a stressed Bride among other things about did me in. I prayed and prayed and prayed. You may think that I was overreacting from lack of sleep, but so much was going on I just needed my Jesus and I needed Him now! But all I seemed to get was silence.


I was sitting in Wal-mart waiting for my sister to get her eyebrows done, yes Wal-mart. Another something I'd never seen before. Sitting, waiting, and feeling overwhelmed. I didn't even want to discuss it with the man up stairs. I just fretted until I was panicked... next thing I knew a big burly man stood in front of me and smiled, "Everything is going to be all right, Okay?" he smiled and walked out of the store... not waiting for a word from me. Did that just happen? So He was listening. I felt so much better! :)


In my distress I called upon the LORD, and cried unto my God: he heard my voice out of his temple, and my cry came before him, even into his ears.
Psalms 18:6

Part 2 to come...





2 comments:

Becky said...

EEEEEEEE! So excited to finally hear about the wedding. Y'all look FAB as usual.

I totally hear you about flying. That always rattles me and makes me cranky. It's been a long time for that reason...I'd rather drive for two days than fly for a couple of hours, lol.

God is SOOOO good! I just love hearing testimonies like this, where He uses someone or something to say, "Hey...I'm here. I've got it all covered."

Can't wait to hear the rest of the story!

Mel said...

I am a Pacific NW girl...I love it and am so nervous about moving to the South...mostly because of the horrid hot humid weather! :) Great pics and can't wait to read about Part II