Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Letter Boxing

I have always wanted to go letter boxing, if you don't know what that is, go here (letterboxing)and try it out. I have a cousin who has been doing this for years... just seemed like something that was fun and the best part - inexpensive!

A friend and I were trying to figure out what we could do on Saturday and things being tight, I went online in search of a letter box close by that we could attempt to locate.

Since this is an open blog and there is a massive community in the letter boxing world that is not private, I'll refrain from telling which box we found... lol. It was so fun and so easy... the first one that is. My mom tagged along and we set up on a little table as we stamped and wrote little notes.

We got in the car and drove to the where the second box was supposed to be... We wandered around as I kept asking, "what are the clues, again?" They just seemed so vague... Hmm... I checked the website and sure enough, It was a word of mouth clue! In other words, we were on a wild goose chase... So much for our day of letter boxing fun!

This is a great family activity or individual activity. Try and let me know how it turns out on your end!

2 comments:

Becky said...

I've heard of this in passing before, but have never tried it. Is it like GeoCacheing?

Did this blog reader at your conference give you their name? I'm racking my brains trying to figure out who it would be...

Donna said...

I love Letterboxing! We do geocacheing too, but there is something special about following the clues (verses following a gps coordinate) that makes it seem almost old fashioned, like a fairy tale. I love carving my own stamps too. It makes it all that more personal. Hope you enjoy your travels and searches! One of our favorite letterbox series was one at the Mission San Juan Capistrano, you should check it out!