Monday, June 16, 2014

Paperback vs Technology

When Kindles and other readers started coming out, I stood by my bookshelf and declared "there's nothing like paperback!" - even though I didn't own a reader. The feel of a paperback (I don't like hardbacks) between your hands, turning the page and dog earing the corners to mark your spot - nothing like that.

But, I got Kindle for iphone a year or so ago and I read one book on it. Just one. It wasn't enjoyable, There was no page turning. So, I went back to buying paperbacks. Glorious $15 paperbacks that I loved looking at on my shelf waiting to be read over and over.


A few weeks ago, I got an iPad mini and downloaded the Kindle app - giving it another try. The first book I put on there was Julie Lessman's A Passion Most Pure. I loved it. No, there was no paper, no dog earing, no pretty book on the shelf. But there was convenience. I had an electronic bookshelf in my small purse. I could make the words bigger - I need this now that I'm getting older, you know thirty-one. Glorius Kindle had a new fan and I quickly forgot about my stand for paperback.

And the cool thing? I usually get my books for free. Thanks to publisher specials. Now that I love!

No comments: